About the Church building
The site was given as a free gift by Mrs Gibson of Sandhurst Lodge and Mr A.W.Blomfield was appointed as the Architect. The foundation Stone was laid on 27 September 1872 and only 8 months later there was a great gathering for the Consecration of the new Church by the Bishop of Oxford, Dr J Mackarness, on 5 May 1873.The church was built only as far as the Chancel (the arch where the green carpet starts) until further funds could be raised. This was done with enthusiasm and the Chancel, the Lady Chapel, Organ Chamber and Vicar's Vestry were all completed in 1889. The lovely Victorian East Window was put in place in 1894 - the original Chancel Screen was added in 1899 and the Choir Vestry was built on nine years later in 1908. Outside the Church, the Lych Gate was added in 1913 and was later converted into a War Memorial to the men of Crowthorne who lost their lives in the 1914 -18 War and the Churchyard Cross was erected in 1914.
On the 4th December 2009 The Secretary of State at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport added St John the Baptist Parish Church Crowthorne to the national list of buildings of special architectural or historical interest and designated the church, churchyard cross and lychgate as GRADE II.
Our church was designed by the leading church architect of the day Sir Arthur William Blomfield (1829-1899) in what has become known as the High Victorian style. English Heritage describe our church as "A well-composed and well-crafted building".
The use of a lychgate as a war memorial is rare and therefore has national significance as a memorial to those who fell in the Great War.
The granting of GRADE II listing will assist in conserving our Parish church for future generations. It will also allow us to reclaim VAT on all repairs and conservation measures regarding the fabric of the building, and enable us to seek funding from outside agencies who provide grants for listed buildings.
A copy of the dcms designation document can be found below.