About the Church building
On the 4th December 2009 The Secretary of State at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport added St John the Baptist Parish Church Crowthorne to the national list of buildings of special architectural or historical interest and designated the church, churchyard cross and lychgate as GRADE II.
Our church was designed by the leading church architect of the day Sir Arthur William Blomfield (1829-1899) in what has become known as the High Victorian style. English Heritage describe our church as "A well-composed and well-crafted building".
The use of a lychgate as a war memorial is rare and therefore has national significance as a memorial to those who fell in the Great War.
The granting of GRADE II listing will assist in conserving our Parish church for future generations. It will also allow us to reclaim VAT on all repairs and conservation measures regarding the fabric of the building, and enable us to seek funding from outside agencies who provide grants for listed buildings.
A copy of the dcms designation document can be found below.